Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Addendum to yesterday's post

1) I started writing this for a Macmillan Cancer forum but realised that it was best placed on my blog. Those on the forum are well aware of the issues that GBM raises and entails, right down to the acronym itself.

2) Temezedol is a oral (pill) chemotherapy drug. It is relatively new and is used at the same time as radiotherapy. It is 20% more effective when used in conjunction with radiotherapy rather than being taken seperately.

3) I work in medical research which means that I have university access to a wide range of peer reviewed science journals. I find that learning about these conditions help me to understand this condition. Once can google anything but peer reviewed science journals are the most trustworthy sources.

4) I found 3 great articles in The Lancet Oncology which were very informative regarding a new form of chemo only approved for use by the FDA in the US in May 2009. This was the good news.

5) These journals tend to make for grim reading.

6) I haven't and I'm not going to tell my immediate family the statistics for GMB. It would serve no purpose. This is the best portal to put this stuff down.

No comments: